Friday, March 12, 2010

Happy Friday! More Local Theater and Other Quick Bits

I am a word nerd, so I have lots of favorite words.  This week's word is "twitterpated."  As Friendly Owl says in Bambi, "Yes. Nearly everybody gets twitterpated in the springtime. For example: You're walking along, minding your own business. You're looking neither to the left, nor to the right, when all of a sudden you run smack into a pretty face. Woo-woo! You begin to get weak in the knees. Your head's in a whirl. And then you feel light as a feather, and before you know it, you're walking on air. And then you know what? You're knocked for a loop, and you completely lose your head!"

No, dear Loueyvillagers, Mama's not in love (sad trombone).  It's just that I've been gobsmacked (another astounding word) by this weather.  Seventy-plus degrees in March?  What huh?  It sure makes me want to be in love.  And it sure makes me feel like I have a crush on the world.  (So, you know, Interwebs, this would be the perfect time to set me up with your hot, successful, single, older brother.  I'm just sayin'.)

Anyhoo... it's not just the weather that's got me all a-dither.  My dance card has been totally full these past couple of weeks-- full of awesome events and lovely people.  So forgive me, between the weather and the wonderful, I've been a bit of a slacker with ye olde blogge.  (Just a reminder, if you're positively hungry for my opinion on stuff, you can follow me on Twitter.  Even when I'm a lame-o blogwise, I still can't shut up with the Tweets.  And you'll get my immediate, sometimes slightly loopy, opinions on restaurants, events, NCAA basketball, Roommate's general follies, yadda yadda.  @loueyville...)

Speaking of....  some quick thoughts for this cloudy Friday morning:

  • If I seem a little loopier than usual, it's because I stayed out WAY past my bedtime last night attending Actors Theater's apprentice company's production of HEIST at 21c.  It was totally worth it, but I am definitely super cranky today.  Remember those Murder Mystery Parties that were all the rage in the late 80's-early 90's (*cough* C'mon, for Mama's sake, just pretend that you're old enough to remember)?  This interactive theater experience is like that on hip steroids.  Go early, get a drink at Proof-- you'll likely get a preview of the drama.  If you go (and it's FREE, so you definitely should stay up past your bedtime for this one), try to land yourself a spot in the group that follows "Clarissa the Videoblogger"-- she's a hoot.

  • Speaking of Actors (and I know, I speak of Actors often these days-- LOVING this Humana Festival).... You know how usually, when you hire a husband-wife team, you're usually hiring either the husband or the wife and the other one is just coming along as a kind of aggrandized benefits package?  (trust me on this one)  Well, that SO didn't happen with the casting of Scott Organ's two-character play PHOENIX.  I wish I had my program with me so I could tell you the married couple of actors' names, but they were wonderful.  Next to FISSURES, this was my favorite Humana play so far.  The writing was so snappy and terrific.  Like the best seasons of "The Gilmore Girls."  (Don't hate... it was a wonderfully-written show.)

  • Tonight's theater offering?  Pandora's AS BEES IN HONEY DROWN.  

  • Are you loving Groupon.com?  I'm loving Groupon.com when they post discounted restaurant/store certificates.  The fact that the site stores your credit card info makes it really easy to impulse buy... not sure how fond I am of that!  (That link leads you to my referral page, fyi. Because why not, right?)

  • Anyone else notice that there's a big banner on that perpetually empty building next to the perpetually rotating shoe store on Baxter right where Baxter/Bardstown split?  A banner that says something along the lines of COMING SOON: SUSHI???? I never look up (discuss that among yourselves) so I have no idea how long it has been there and I have no idea if it's a big steaming lie.  But boy would that be a great place for a sushi restaurant, huh?  

  • Speaking of COMING SOON... the former Russ's Generic Meatmarket Overpriced Brewhaus has had a "Coming Soon:  A --GASP-- Irish Pub" sign in the window for a blue million years.  There's definitely some nice renovation action going on there.  But if it really IS going to be yet another Irish Pub for Little Dublin, wouldn't it be tragic if they couldn't crack it open for St. Patrick's Day?  

  • Smarter yet, they really ought to open their doors for tomorrow's St. Pat's parade.  It starts at 3pm at Baxter and Broadway.  Always fun.  Hope it doesn't rain.  Look for me.  I'll be wearing green.  

  • Speaking of... last night Roommate and I hit the blessing of the beer at O'Shea's (and yes, blessed beer does taste better), and I noticed a heck of a lot of dudes in kilts (because how do you NOT notice a whole lotta dudes in kilts?).  And one of the St. Pat's day signs mentioned bag pipers.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought kilts and bagpipes were SCOTTISH not Irish.  Right?  What's up with the conflation of the two?  Are we just saying one freckly redhead is the same as another freckly redhead?  Isn't that as bad as folks saying, "Chinese... Korean.... Same thing."  Or is the kilts thing just a bunch of horny Louisvillager dudes using any excuse to let their man-bits hang free?  (Last night, Roommate says, "Does it bug you to know you're surrounded by guys who are just this far from exposing themselves?"  I'll let you speculate on my response.)
Clearly, I am overtired.  How 'bout them CARDS? (cough)

Back to Real Life work.  Have a lovely weekend!  And Mother Nature: I love you, babe.

No comments: