Thursday, March 26, 2009

New Voices 10-Minute Plays

I'm a huge fan of teenagers. No, not in an icky, creepy sort of way-- get your mind out of the gutter, would you? It's just that I work with teens every day, and I honestly think they're a much-maligned population. Back when I was dealing with the darkest days of breast cancer-- post-surgery, mid-chemo-- it was a whole bunch of teenagers who kept my spirits high and my belly full. I see the worst of teens, sometimes. But I see the best of them more often than not. The kids are alright, as they say.

So in that spirit and with a nod to last night's love for Humana/Actor's, I'm happy to share the New Voices 10-minute Plays event at Actor's on April 19 & 20.

From the press release (Mama loves press releases!):

In conjunction with the Humana Festival of New American Plays, Actors Theatre is presenting the work of selected high school playwrights. The New Voices Ten-Minute Play Festival will include eight ten-minute plays, to be performed April 19 at 5 p.m. and April 20 at 7 p.m. in the 318-seat Bingham Theatre. The performances are free, but tickets are required.

The plays were chosen by the Actors Theatre’s Education Department out of more than 250 entries from public, private and parochial schools throughout Kentucky and Indiana. The 2008-2009 Apprentice/Intern Company will bring the winning plays to life.

A few months ago, I took in Match Games at Actor's-- ten ten-minute plays about love. It's pretty damned impressive what you can do in ten minutes onstage. I look forward to seeing what the kids have in store.

No comments: